Your hand's already in my pocket

I use an ad blocker, and probably you do, too.

Every day, even on websites where I pay a monthly subscription fee, I see a pop-up that say: "We Notice You Are Using an Ad Blocker." And they ask me to turn it off.

I don't.

I'm already paying for that news website's reporting. Their hands are already in my pocket. And, truth is, I don't mind digital ads that are somewhat relevant to my tastes. Show me an ad for a guitar deal or Ford car parts, and I'll probably read it.

Screen shot, unnamed Gannett publication, Sept. 2018
But I don't care about Patrick Swayze's secret son. Or what forgotten 1970s actress Loni Anderson looks like today. (I was more of a Howard Hesseman/Dr. Johnny Fever fan, anyway.)

When newspapers relied on print ad revenue, I'd glance at those ads -- and sometimes, I'd bite -- because those ads were for local or regional merchants. They wanted to build a relationship with me. 

They didn't try to lure me in with faux gossip about end-stage celebrities, only to show me more ads from Taboola and Outbrain. For products in which I have zero interest.

Advertising has always underwritten news and entertainment. We expect it. But advertisers and their marketing agencies once made smart decisions about media buys. They ran ads that tempted me to visit a car dealer on Saturday, when I had time for a test-drive. Ads for women's personal hygiene products didn't run during NASCAR races. And so on.

Today? Not so much. Gannett-owned newspapers, especially, have no regard for subscribers. If they did, they wouldn't show paid content about the alleged and unconfirmed secret Swayze son, or run pop-out video clips that play relentlessly and follow me across the page.

News media need to clean up their advertising act. Treat me as a customer, not a sheep to be sold to Outbrain or AdChoices.

Until news media respect me as a reader, and as a valued customer, I will keep my ad blocker on. 


Popular posts from this blog

Questioning the New York (Times) Athletic Club

Readers get the (drive) shaft in motorsports coverage