Scribbling in the dark

In an earlier life, I reviewed films for a small-town daily newspaper. It was pre-Rotten Tomatoes. Pre-internet. So if you wanted to know if a movie was worth your $5, you read newspapers or hoped Roger Ebert and Gene Siskel reviewed it for their TV show.

USAF Snipers by By Tech. Sgt. Bonnie A. White (USAF)
 (http://www.af.mil/weekinphotos/040730-02.html)
[Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons
Today, I don't review films. And I try not to wade in to debates about controversial films. I saw The Interview on pay-per-view. And I may see American Sniper, Clint Eastwood's latest film. But I'm unlikely to write about either movie.

I gave up reviewing films because I found scribbling in the dark distracting. I wasn't experiencing or enjoying the on-screen stories. I found myself analyzing the product, much the way testers at Consumer Reports test toasters and microwaves. In a way, I was contributing to the PR buzz for feature films.

And I decided that I wasn't happy as an underpaid cog in some studio's star-making machinery.

Today, I prefer seeing films for their entertainment value. And to forget about the outside world for 100 minutes or so.

But I have an opinion about filmmaker Michael Moore's recent comments regarding American Sniper. His viewpoint, based on his family experience: "snipers are cowards" who've been known to shoot people in the back. Moore was criticised for his viewpoint by (not surprisingly) Fox News and Sarah Palin. He shared a response on social media, which is partly captured here.

My view: Moore makes powerful documentaries that can be very persuasive. So he should do what he does best: get behind a camera and deliver his point of view on film, digital, or whatever medium he chooses. He can upload what he creates to YouTube or another site. Getting into a social media volley with Sarah Palin and her followers lends too much viability to a marginal politician whose own sense of judgment leads to another set of questions.


Popular posts from this blog

Questioning the New York (Times) Athletic Club

Readers get the (drive) shaft in motorsports coverage

Your hand's already in my pocket