When to use a smartphone in a restaurant

By Drapplesi (Own work) [GFDL
(http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html) or CC BY-SA 3.0
(http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0)],
via Wikimedia Commons
This isn't a rant. It's not a diatribe. It's simply my point of view.

I don't carry a smartphone.

They're easy to get and operate. But I resist using one.

Why?

Because it quickly becomes an intruder in my real life. And, if we're having a conversation, it's intruding in your life, too.

I believe in the art of listening over the artifice of texting. I believe in building relationships between placing my order and the arrival of the meal. I believe in eye contact, not eyestrain.

And I find the creepy blue glow of a smartphone casts an unflattering pallor over the face of the person using the phone. In a dim restaurant, it looks like a scene from "The Walking Dead." Yick.

Yes, I've used Yelp to help me find interesting restaurants. But I don't want Yelp to tell me whether I should bring preconceived opinions to a dining experience while I'm eating. I want to savor the entree and decide from an unbiased point of view.

I'm not anti-electronic, by any means. I own and use a tablet. I just choose to put it away and concentrate on being authentically engaged in a conversation.

And, when you strip away all the electronics, all the search engines, and all the analytics, great PR is supposed to build engaging conversations.

Popular posts from this blog

Questioning the New York (Times) Athletic Club

Readers get the (drive) shaft in motorsports coverage

Your hand's already in my pocket