Tossing a ref rag on NFL's email strategy

One of PR's first rules: know your audience. Or, don't pitch a story about Manolo Blahnik shoes to Sports Illustrated.

The NFL recently sent emails from NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell and ex-coach and current TV pitchman Bill Cowher, telling me all they're doing to address the issue of head injury and trauma among young and pro football players. Here's a link.

People who play football experience head injury. No dispute there. There's a reason high schools with football teams hire a physician to attend the games. And TV news magazines have devoted airtime to stories of suicide among former NFL players whose behavior may have ties to head-to-head collisions on the field.

Another of my basic PR rules: ask a reader to take one action. And here's where the NFL's e-newsletter strategy misses the uprights.

First, I don't have kids, nephews or neighbors whose kids play league football. I've never coached a team. I'm not the right demographic for this message. Whatever e-mail list the NFL's using, it needs to be scrubbed.

Second: I only attended one NFL game in 2013. (Prior to that, it had been three years between trips to Ralph Wilson Stadium.)

Third: former coach Bill Cowher's current high-visibility gig is promoting cable TV service for Time Warner Cable. Message to me: the NFL hired a "favorite son" pitchman to front its issue. His credibility is a bit thin.

I clicked the "Sign Up Today" button in Bill's email. It whisks me to a website operated by USA Football, not the NFL. It leads me down a path to register and become a "Commissioner." I don't know what this means, and it asks for too much personal information.

From an image-management and PR perspective, the NFL's game plan to address the head injury issue -- without talking about what it's doing for afflicted former players -- draws a ref rag. It talks to the wrong audience. Yes, they got a morning talk-show segment on moms taking part in football training to better understand the issue. That's great PR.

But the NFL/USA Football email is vague and intrusive. At best, I'm a casual football fan. So I'm more likely to wear a cycling helmet when I ride than sign up for a mailing list about an issue where I have no stake in the game.








Popular posts from this blog

Questioning the New York (Times) Athletic Club

Readers get the (drive) shaft in motorsports coverage

Your hand's already in my pocket